Sunday, February 20, 2011

I Am Super



Have you ever been to an auction sale before? In the Philippines, subasta means auction, and it is normally, a public sale at which items are sold to the person offering to pay the highest price. This reinvention of auction for EFL classroom doesn't have any items up for sale it doesn't have any currencies or toy money involved. What is negotiated in this game is vocabulary, and the means of exchange are number cards. This is a "winner takes all" game, meaning the player to put up the winning number takes all the other cards.

Players
three or more

Matertials
picture cards and number cards (trump cards)

Vocabulary
adjectives, comparatives and superlatives

Target Language
Q: How old are you?
A: I'm (ten) years old.
    I'm (younger) than you are.
    I'm (older) than you are.
    I'm (the youngest).
    I'm (the oldest).

Q: How tall are you?
A : I'm (4 feet) tall.
     I'm (shorter) than you are.
     I'm (taller) than you are.
     I'm (the shortest).
     I'm (the tallest).

How to play
Determine the order of play. Shuffle one deck of number cards (minus the Kings, Queens, Jacks, Jokers, and Aces). Cut into two piles, and place them facedown on a playing surface. Player 1 turns over a card from the pile. The class asks the question; "How old are you?" Player 1 answers; "I'm (seven) years old." (His card is number 7). Player 2 takes his turn. He turns over a card from the pile. The class asks the question; "How old are you?" Player 2 answers; "I'm (five) years old. I'm younger than you are." (His card is number 5). Player 3 takes his turn. He turns over a card from the pile. The class asks the question again; "How old are you?" Player 3 answers; "I'm (ten) years old. I'm the oldest." Player 2 butts in; "I'm the youngest." Then Player 2 and Player 3 do RSP (rock-scissors-paper). The winner gets all the 3 cards. Play several rounds for mastery. At the end of the game who ever got the most number of cards is the WINNER!

No comments:

Post a Comment